Monday, November 8, 2010

Nausea + Panic Attacks = ER visit

Last night was the final straw in tolerance for me. Feeling more nauseated and having major panic attacks throughout the day has taken its toll. Also, losing weight more everyday (though normally would be a great thing) was adding to my worries. Finally told hubby I wanted to go to the ER and have my liver checked! Because I have been on heavy long-term doses of Rifampin and it is known to cause liver dysfunction, I felt that I needed to be checked out.

Well, after 5 hours in the ER ... 4 sticks due to dehydration to finally get an IV of fluids and nausea medicine in me ... my labwork came back fine! Liver enzymes were fine! Came home with a script for Zofran and was told to double up on my Protonix that I take nightly for reflux. I will begin taking one in the morning in addition to the one at bedtime.

Still woke up with a panic attack one hour after falling asleep (even with the nausea meds in me) and had difficulty sleeping all night again. Today was better for most of the day though I did get several periods of waves of anxiety and nausea but now I am really leaning toward all of this being hormonal in nature!

I had an endometrial thermal ablation four years ago and haven't had a period since then. Back when I did menstruate, I had panic attacks around my cycle fluctuations. Things seemed to really calm down after my surgery since my severe cramps and excessive bleedings were gone. For years now, I don't even think about my cycle anymore as it is rarely obvious to me except for tender breasts now and then. So ... I looked up the signs / symptoms of perimenopause and there are 35 of them. YEP, and I have / am experiencing MOST of them. Night sweats, panic attacks, rapid heartbeat, moodiness, depression ... GI disturbances ,..... etc.! I'm thinking that my 46 year old female body is the cause for these latest issues!

Although I don't enjoy them, just knowing that something NORMAL is occurring for once is such a relief!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in my blog and Lyme Disease. If you have information regarding Lyme or another illness similar to mine, please keep in touch!